Professional Writing Experience
FREELANCE JOURNALIST, contributing to local, national, and international print media and online publications, Fredericksburg, VA, December 2008 – Present
• Researched, wrote, and edited stories for the National Newspaper Publishers Association (NNPA); covered The White House for Conference on Bullying (March 2011) and the launch of the military families initiative (April 2011).
• Write opinion/editorial columns for The Guardian, one of the largest e-newspapers in the world; contributed one story.
• Write opinion/editorial columns for The Huffington Post, one of the largest e-newspapers in the world; contributed twenty stories.
• Write opinion/editorial, entertainment, and history columns for EBONY Magazine, an international publication dedicated to music, film, art, style, and book reviews; contributed twenty-one stories.
• Write entertainment columns for The Atlantic Magazine, a Washington, DC-based online publication; contributed five stories.
• Wrote entertainment columns for AOL Music, a New York, NY-based online publication; contributed two stories.
• Write entertainment columns for Wax Poetics Magazine, a Brooklyn, NY-based online publication; contributed four stories.
• Prepared Opinion/Editorial pieces pertaining to politics and history for Town & County Magazine/The Free Lance Star, a local Fredericksburg, Virginia publication; wrote eight published articles for this magazine.
WRITING ASSISTANT, Germanna Community College, Fredericksburg, VA, August 2013 – Present
• Tutor students in grammar, reading comprehension, and writing skills for academic research papers, essays, and tests. Provide feedback on student essays and research papers. Proofread and edit student essays, research papers, and regular papers. File and document student information within our in-house database system.
WEB CONTENT SPECIALIST, Selling Power, Fredericksburg, Virginia, December 2007 – December 2010
• Reviewed and edited main company website; worked cooperatively with my Web team to design additional sites for the Sales Leadership Conference and Sales 2.0 Conferences, utilizing HTML, ASP, and PHP coding methods.
• Constructed eleven monthly e-newsletters and electronic mail blasts; built email blasts with Macromedia Dreamweaver; distributed same to subscribers via Vertical Response and Microsoft Broadcast systems.
• Used Adobe Photoshop to design pictures and advertisements; posted new magazine issues on the company website via our internal database; adhered to strict deadlines each day, and executed my tasks with precision and accuracy.
• Participated in meetings with the Chief Executive Officer and entire team to share and receive directives for business development; managed all marketing reports and statistical data for the Web and Marketing departments.
• Archived current articles in the company’s in-house SQL database; also archived into the system magazine articles dating back to 1985.
OPERATIONS MANAGER, TradeWinds, Fredericksburg, Virginia, December 2006 – August 2007
• Managed advertisements for the TradeWinds newspaper; tracked incoming, current, and expired ads in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet; eventually transferred the data into an internal database system for online and print media use.
• Served as key point of contact to strengthen the newspaper’s brand and distributorship; researched marketing strategies; contacted new client leads; established productive business relationships with new and existing customers.
• Wrote a biweekly column focusing on consumer issues in an effort to promote the TradeWinds brand.
• Compiled and maintained statistical data for advertising clients, sales, etc.; performed periodic internal audits to ensure sound keeping of the company’s accounting and financial records.
STAFF WRITER, Commonwealth Times, Richmond, Virginia, January 2005 – March 2006
• Developed original stories for Commonwealth Times, the university newspaper; worked closely with the editor; received approval before initiating assignments in the field requiring interviews with subjects for articles.
• Wrote and conducted edits on my articles before handing off to the managing editor for final review; received markups and input final edits when appropriate, and passed the story on for placement in the next issue of the paper.
• Specialized in writing for a vast range of topics, e.g., Opinion/Editorial articles, sports, politics, gender, race, and feel good stories about Virginia Commonwealth University students on campus, etc.
COMMUNICATIONS INTERN, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative, Fredericksburg, Virginia, May 2005 – August 2005
• Called radio stations, newspapers, and other communication outlets to secure ad placements for the company; received and processed correspondence; conducted business for the company’s National Cooperative Month.
• Wrote and edited articles for Home Resources, Rappahannock Electric Cooperative’s in-house weekly newsletter, and Cooperative Living, its monthly statewide publication.
Bachelor of Science Degree, Mass Communications/Print Journalism, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, 2006
Associate of Arts & Sciences Degree, Liberal Arts, Germanna Community College, Fredericksburg, Virginia, 2005
Student Ambassador for Virginia Commonwealth University, The University of The West Indies, Cave Hill, Barbados, 2006.
Society of Professional Journalists
Microsoft Office Suite
Windows Operating Systems
VOLUNTEER AND HUMANITARIAN ACTIVITIES
I served as the Communications Director for Empowering The Poor, Inc., a local nonprofit organization in the area of Fredericksburg, Virginia.
I spearheaded the third annual Malaria 5K Run/Walk event for participating University of Mary Washington students and citizens of the local community.
I helped to launch the Students with Empowering The Poor (SETP) chapters for the University of Mary Washington and 21st Century Leaders program.
I have contributed to fund raising efforts for victims of the Haiti earthquake as well as nonprofit organizations dedicated to educational tools for African children.
I led the Letters to the Editor initiative in the reelection campaign for Henry “Hap” Connors.
I co-organized the Trayvon Martin and Voting town hall meetings through the Virginia Black History Month Association, a nonprofit organization in the summer and fall of 2013.